Peter Loughrey / RIP

Peter Loughrey
February 20, 1968 - March 16, 2020

It's quite the understatement to say that March has been a very bad month. In addition to a worldwide pandemic, we lost Peter Loughrey. In 1992 he founded Los Angeles Modern Auctions (LAMA) and with his wife Shannon, grew it into an overwhelming successful business. Beyond that, he was incredibly nice and humble. Every time I went to an auction preview, he would spend so much time showing me the lots that he was excited about. To him it was much more than a business. He loved the stuff.


After having so many great pieces of  high end design and art go through his hands he would still get excited about an Eames chair.

Source: Antique Roadshow


Source: Antique Roadshow

Peter invited me over to the house he and Shannon had just bought. I flipped out when I saw an Alvin Lustig pillow on his Papa Bear chair. After he saw my excitement, he told me just to take it. I couldn't believe it.  It now sits proudly on my Lustig chair and I think about him every time I see it--even more so now. 

Here is the pillow when I brought it home in 2013.

This 2017 CNBC program tells the story.