Streamline / Bakersfield


I was in Bakersfield a couple months back and happened upon this beiged out Streamline Modern building. 






It was built in 1939 by Paul W. Gilbert, local builder, contractor, real estate, insurance and booster for the La Cresta Lomita-Verde area of north Bakersfield. 

Source: Bakersfield Californian, 1941

What are the chances that this car would drive by while I was there?
I'm no car guy but as far as I have been able to figure out this is a 1938 Chevy.


Source: Bakersfield Californian, 1939

Source: Bakersfield Californian, 1939


Gilbert seemed like he was quite active in the build to suit arena.

Source: Bakersfield Californian, 1939


It was a salon until at least the mid-1970's

Prather News-Service was also a tenant. So was the Kern Neon Company. 

Source: Bakersfield Californian, 1946

I don't know the date of this photo. More recently it was a Fireworks store.

It has seen better days but still has so much potential. My Bakersfield buddy David Coffey commented on it's continual decline. When I was there, it was for sale but it looks like it just sold for $148k. Hopefully that means better days are ahead. 

Photo:  Jorge Alvarado via City Data