Brooklyn Museum / Design

I haven't heard all that much about the Brooklyn Museum (although they are getting some flack as of late). In fact, a few people who live in New York mentioned they have never been to the museum when I posted some pictures on Instagram. It was well worth the trip.

Museum Spotlight: Mid-Century Decorative Arts and Design is a current exhibition taking place. There are many examples by designers you would expect, like Eames and Nelson. However, as you'll see, the museum's collection is pretty interesting and includes a wide range of more obscure names.


The age old question.

Natzler

Aalto, Eames and Mollino

Japanese Modern: Ubunji Kidokoro and Sori Yanagi. Kind of a missed opportunity not to display the Aalto next to the Kidokoro chair if you ask me.

After all, that's what Perriand did.  More about that here

Gerrit Rietveld

The POMO and Contemporary section

Sottsass

There is an Art Deco room you can peer into. 

My favorite part of the museum is the Luce Visible Storage room. There is so much good design stacked up in these cabinets. The lights are dim and it feels like an exploration into an Indiana Jones level design treasure trove.


Henry P Glass maquettes 

Smalls


It was so much fun trying to identify everything. Everything is labeled with its accession number which can be referenced on the museum's website. 

Noguchi Radio Nurse

I was so happy to see the Tackett vase up there, next to a Natzler. 

And there it it, the holy grail. One of the lamps from the Victor Gruen designed Barton’s Bonbonnière
If I had a bullwhip, that would be the one I would have taken home with me. I'd obviously have to use the Rietveld wheelbarrow to make my escape.