Kaufmann Desert House / Richard Neutra

The Kaufmann Desert House by Richard Neutra (1946)

I finally made it inside!





When the Kaufmann's lived there, the furniture was mostly Van Keppel Green and Eames DCM's.

The DCMs were special. 

Rosewood with exposed metal shock mounts. The house was finished in 1946 so it makes sense that they would be such early examples. They probably had the inside line through their son, Edgard Kaufmann Jr. (aka Mr. Good Design) 

Source: The vintage photos are by Julius Shulman © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)






There is still a lot of VKG.

Let's head up to the gloriette.





The Palm Springs Modernism Week tour bus pulled up when I was up there.

In 1947 the neighborhood looked very different.
Source: Julius Shulman © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

This is what their view looks like. I've been in front of the house more times than I'd care to admit. This photo actually was taken in September of last year. I probably have hundreds of different versions of this view, including at night and in the rain. 

It was incredible to actually be in the house. A massive thank you goes to my friend misterngo for allowing me to tag along. 

The 1947 view from Julius Shulman
Source: © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)