Saint / Falkenstein

St. Basil church, A.C. Martin architectural firm, 1969. Wilshire Blvd,  Los Angeles 
Windows and architectural details by Claire Falkenstein


The Cardinal [McIntire] asked me, "Are you religious?," when I presented my idea to him for the windows and the doors. 
And I said, "Oh yes. I'm very religious." But he didn't ask me what religion. 
If he had asked me, I would have said nature, because through nature I came to the never-ending screen.
- Claire Falkenstein 

Source: Oral history interview with Claire Falkenstein, 1995 Mar. 2-21, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution.



I can see how this could make someone want to pray.

I don't know who did this, but it's really cool.


The confessional





Claire with the St. Basil stained glass windows
Source: Claire Falkenstein, The Falkenstein Foundation

Photo: Wayne Thom, 1969 via waynethom