Walter S White / Indio House

I was able to get a lot closer to the Walter S White Wilcockson house in Indio. 

For background on White and the house, see my previous post.

As mentioned before, there was an estate sale at the house. I showed up several hours after the sale started to get a look inside the house without the crowd. I did not see the "Calder" mobile that was advertised but I have my doubts.










Are you ready for the inside? 
Are you sure?

Here is what it looks like behind the that glorious apex.


The 1980's were not kind to this house. 

Nothing a lot of sledgehammering couldn't fix.



I dropped this in on the other post, but I should probably mention it again. The latest word is that the house was purchased by a developer who is planning to demolish the house. This happened after the church who was planning on incorporating it into their new campus decided to scale back their project. This decision was made after the City of Indio would not let them have access to the site off Avenue 49. 

Image: UCSB

Obviously this house is worth saving. At the very least, it should be moved. I'm not an engineer but the separate roof structure seems ideal for moving.

Image: UCSB

Hopefully some sense can be talked into the new owner.

UPDATE: According to US Modernist, Sean Gaston is spearheading a renovation for the new owners, Walker Land Co. The plan is to preserve the spirit of White's vision by revealing and retaining as much of the original structure as possible.